BALTIMORE BIRD CLUB
Field Trip Leader Guidelines
- Become familiar with the area prior to the trip.
- Arrive at the meeting place a few minutes before the starting time.
- Bring species checklist, sign-in sheet, BBC membership applications, and BBC program booklet.
- Greet participants as they arrive. Make sure everyone is introduced.
- Briefly outline the field trip agenda - where you are going, likely species, ending time, etc. and find out if the group has any special needs or interests that can be accommodated.
- Discuss the details - walking rigors, carpooling, cost sharing, rest stops, bathroom breaks, etc.
- Remind everyone of birding ethics protocol or etiquette -- avoid sudden or loud noises, unnecessary talking and gesturing, walking in front of the leader, etc.
- Encourage everyone to report sightings or vocalizations.
- Ask an experienced birder to take up the rear of the group so that those furthest from the leader will have an 'expert' to help them.
On the Trail:
- Keep the group moving at an appropriate pace.
- Take time for everyone to see and/or hear the bird.
- Point out song and call, interesting behaviors, plumage, habitat, etc.
- Be inclusive of everyone in the group from the most to the least experienced.
- Make a special effort to help novices. Give them time and attention.
- Complete a checklist of the birds seen on the trip.
- Obtain feedback from the group about their experience and answer any questions.
- Provide dates of future trips and BBC activities.
- For non-BBC members, discuss the benefits of membership and distribute an application to those interested in joining.
Remember, birding is supposed to be fun.
Submit Checklist of Birds and List of Participants
4027 Old Federal Hill Rd.
Jarrettsville MD 21084
To Baltimore Bird Club home page.